Would you prefer to speak to one of our road accident legal specialists?

Call us now on
01625 415848

Specialist legal advisors available to take your call now.

Alternatively, you can request a call back for a time that suits you.


Based on 12,291 reviews.

Bott and Co fallback

What Is After The Event Insurance?

Last Updated .

Based on 12,291 reviews.

After the event (ATE) legal expense insurance is taken out after an accident has happened to cover you for any legal costs you may incur when you pursue a compensation claim.

This is how law firms can offer a No Win No Fee service as the insurance policy covers the costs if you lost the case.

ATE is usually taken out by people who wish to make a compensation claim, but who do not have before the event insurance (BTE).

It is also sometimes taken out by people who do have a BTE policy, but one that doesn’t cover all or some of the potential costs of the claim.

What Our Clients Say

"Proficient and Professional. I was astounded at the professionalism of the solicitor assigned to my case. I can only say that they went above and beyond."


Based on 12,291 reviews.

The purpose of after the event insurance is to make sure that if the claimant loses their case, their ATE insurance provider will pick up the legal costs, including lawyers, solicitors, barristers, expert witnesses, court fines and fees.

When a claimant does not win their claim, ATE also covers any litigation costs incurred by the defence, meaning they will not suffer any financial losses as a result of making an unsuccessful claim.

If you do not have sufficient before the event insurance, we ask that you purchase ATE (we will handle this on your behalf). This means that in the unlikely event that we do not win their case, our fees will be covered by the policy.

This insurance allows us to provide a No Win No Fee service so that if your claim is not successful, you won’t have to pay us a penny.

Why Choose Bott and Co?

  • bottco_icon_tick

    A History of Success

    We have helped our clients claim over £120m in compensation over the last twenty years.

  • bottco_icon_tick

    Expert Legal Advice

    Recognised not just within our industry but also by Martin Lewis as “pioneers” in our field.

  • bottco_icon_tick

    On Your Side

    Completely independent, our only focus is helping you claim for what you are legally entitled to.

  • bottco_icon_tick

    Fully Regulated

    We are members of the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Your claim is in safe hands.

Speak to our award winning legal team now by calling

01625 415 850

How Much Does After The Event Insurance Cost?

The cost of ATE depends on several factors, including the type of case, how strong the case is, and how early the in the claims process that the policy is purchased.

When you choose Bott and Co to handle your claim, your dedicated solicitor will talk you through purchasing the right policy for you.

You won’t have to pay anything upfront for this policy as the cost is deducted from your settlement figure once we receive the compensation from the third party.

What Claims Do I Need An ATE Policy For?

You will need after the event insurance for any personal injury claim that we work on for you. This includes:

Road Traffic Accident Claims
Car Accident Claims
Whiplash Claims
Bicycle Accident Claims
Motorcycle Claims

Speak to our award winning legal team now by calling 01625 415 850 or request a call back.